01 March, 2010

Foodie


Yesterday, my family spent the day at our local wine and food festival. We sampled all kinds of food (bean sprouts, anyone?), and sat in the audience while television chefs taught us how to prepare nutritious and delicious meals...One chef named Rocco even made brownies out of black beans! 
The event we attended was a family event, so there were many demonstrations and exhibits that taught children (and their parents) the importance of good nutrition. One of my favorites was a woman dressed up like a cow who taught my kids about the merits of calcium and dairy products. 
It was fun to spend an entire day celebrating the growing, cooking and eating of food. My kids even planted their very own window sill herb garden. According to the International Slow Food Movement, in order for a person to establish a healthy relationship with food, one must first, "rediscover the joys of eating and understand the importance of caring where their food comes from, who makes it and how it’s made."  

Contrary to the adverts, it is not an item in a greasy bag that I grab from a window, my foot on the gas pedal.


No comments:

Post a Comment